Thursday, November 18, 2010

1) Cause and Effect Website

The cause and effect website was useful because it went in-depth of a topic that was was scarcely explained. Although the topic of causal reasoning was pretty straightforward and simple, this website still was able to expand my knowledge of it.

I liked how in the end of the page, it explained what makes a causal argument strong because not arguments will always be strong even though they may follow the cause and effect pattern.

Of the three steps they mentioned, the one I thought was the most interesting was the second point which was questioning if the "bicycle" really did cause the accident. It is possible that the driver may have done a mistake or if the cause of the accident was something else other than the bicycle.

I thought this point was interesting because it makes you aware that all because a certain event or thing was present, it doesn't mean that it is the cause of another event. It could be possible that the driver overlooked another cause of the accident because he or she was too focused on the bike. That is why before assuming that the bike caused the accident, we must look into other criteria or clues.

- Pink Bean

4 comments:

  1. When I was reading through the cause and effect website I actually found that second point to be the most interesting as well. After reading through the whole example and explanations I had started to just accept the fact the accident between the two cars was caused by the bicycle swerving around the parked car. However it is also likely that maybe the person in the car was on the phone and got distracted and had a delayed reaction to the bicyclists swerving which caused them to slam on their brakes abruptly and the car following behind to rear end them. With cause and effect reasoning I think it is hard to always decipher what the cause is which is why it is important to have a strong argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink Bean,
    I completely agree with you that the website went into greater depth on some topics we covered in class. I found the website to be very helpful because it first off helped me recall everything we have learned, and it also helped me understand some topics better.
    I also found the second point to be the most interesting. At first I felt that the bike was the reason for the accident, but after reading the whole post I realized that as you stated, the driver might have been distracted with something he was doing on his own. His actions might therefore have taken his attention away from the biker. He could have therefore maybe avoided the accident if he had been paying more attention.
    Overall I completely agree with you that we must look into an argument from every angle before coming to a conclusion.
    Great post!
    Elsie-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I couldn’t agree with you more. I believe that the topic itself is quite easy to understand the first time I encountered it, however, the site helped explain the topic more in-depth. The website also helped me supplement the definition I knew before reading through it, which helped me understand the topic even better. I also agree how the example used was very interesting since it is something that anybody can encounter and not know which person to believe in or should be blamed for, which makes the topic very useful since know we have an idea how to defend ourselves if it does occur to us. Another great post! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pink Bean! Like the others above, I agree that this given website did a great job of going deeper and further explaining cause and effect. Like you, I also found the part where the author pointed out and questioned whether or not the bicycle was the one who caused the accidently fairly interesting. The reason for this is because if we were in that situation, there is a high chance of us assuming that the factor that came before us was what caused us to be involved in the accident. However, after the author reasoned and listed out all the possibilities, it is easier for us, the readers, to see that it very well might have not been the bicyclist that created the accident, that it could've and probably was the truck, or other objects/people among the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete