Thursday, December 9, 2010

3) Which concept was interesting?

I will have to say learning about fallacies was the most interesting thing. After looking at fallacies, it has actually changed the way I argue or talk. Now and then, I am more aware of what I say and I try avoiding fallacies (unless it is not for an argument, just for fun). For serious arguments, yes I do avoid using fallacies. I particularly liked the fallacy section because it really evaluated what arguments are good or bad. For example, it talked about subjective vs objective arguments. Sometimes, I use my own opinions to actually describe a nature of something when in fact, it is really a fallacy because my definition is bias. Basically, watching out for this fallacy really helps people know that their opinion may not be true and that everyone is different. In other words, it is actually good to use objective claims, or whatever is true, to support your argument because objective arguments are actually less biased.

1 comment:

  1. I also found fallacies to be one of the most interesting things we learned about in this class. I definitely have also noticed that since learning about fallacies, that I argue and write differently. Whether I am writing a paper or talking to someone face to face, I try not to use fallacies. Learning about fallacies has helped me write and argue better. The fallacy section was definitely helpful in determining if an argument is good or bad. The subjective vs objective section was also very interesting. I tend to use my own opinions to describe the nature of things as well and then I realize it is a fallacy. Objective claims are definitely better to use when arguing.

    ReplyDelete